Surprise? You’re reading it right. The badadroid project has been successful after all. With the untiring efforts of third-party devs, you can now enjoy Android on your old Samsung phone. And just a few days ago, the guys from CarbonDev released a custom ROM that could bring your Samsung Wave 2 back to life. I’ve been using the said ROM on my Wave 2 for a while and I can’t believe my eyes up to now while creating this blog post.
We all know that Bada 2.0 is much better than the older version. But after flashing the CarbonRom, I never look back. The experience is buttery smooth, no lags of whatsoever. You can now use your Wave 2 just like any Android phone, install apps from Google Play Store or even change your phone’s theme. Kudos to all the devs involved in this released. You guys are great!
Tip: Search for Samsung S5 theme and install it via Nova app to change the theme of your Samsung Wave 2. Nova app is already included in the CarbonROM.
The instructions presented here originally came from a post by hero355, an xdadev member and one of the guys in Team Carbon. If you prefer reading the original instructions, then visit the xda forum post by clicking this link.
Warning: Similar to any attempt of flashing a custom ROM on your phone, no one should be held liable in any damage this might brought you. So please follow the instructions carefully and always make a backup of your data.
- Prepare your computer. Download the Samsung USB drivers and install. You might need to uninstall first the drivers on your computer. For each install or uninstall, reboot your computer for the changes to take effect. While rebooting, do not plug your phone via USB cable.
- Download Multiloader 5.65 and install. Normally, you will get an archive file so all you have to do is to extract the app from there. Run this app. Connect your phone via USB cable. Click “Port Search” and make sure that your phone is detected.
- Prepare your SD-card. Format it with FAT32 file system. You can do this by using a card reader with your SD-card inserted then plug reader on your PC.
- Download the ROM, Kernel, Normal Kernel, Bigmem Kernel and FOTA file from the xda forum link provided above.
- Copy all Kernel files (*.img) and ROM (Carbon-KK~.zip) file to your FAT32 formatted SD-card. Do not extract the contents of the archived file. Just copy and paste.
- Change your firmware to Turko CFW 10.2 using Multiloader. This firmware is similar to Bada 2.0. This step is important because official firmware won’t allow you to use the CarbonRom. I’ve tried that already. You can follow the steps in this post in flashing this custom firmware on your phone.
- After successfully flashing the custom firmware described above, put your phone in Download mode for the second time.
- Flash the FOTA file using Multiloader. Let the phone reboot itself.
- What you will see next is the Android recovery screen. Follow these steps. “Install” -> “Choose zip with ROM” -> “Swipe to Confirm Flash” -> “Home”. Then go to “Wipe” -> “Advanced Wipe” -> “Check data” -> “Repair or change File System” -> “Change File System” -> “Ext4” -> “Swipe to change” -> Back -> Back -> Back -> Back. Then go to “Reboot” -> “System”.
What do you think of your new Samsung Wave 2 powered by Android Kitkat? Isn’t that wonderful? If you want, you can donate to hero355 by visiting the original forum post or by clicking this link – Donate to Hero355. I’ll post the screen shots later. So far I have no issues with phone. All features are functioning correctly except for video recording and playback which can be solve by installing MX player. The only (minor) problem that I’m experiencing is that the phone will prompt you that it cannot find the boot.img file if the battery is near empty. If this happens, just charge your phone and reboot and everything will be back to normal.
Hats off to all devs responsible for this release!
Incoming search terms:
samsung wave 2 android, samsung wave 2 s8530 android install, samsung wave 2 update to android, samsung wave 2 android update, samsung wave 2 android install download, how to install android on samsung wave 2 s8530, install android on samsung wave 2, update samsung wave 2 bada to android, installer carbon 4 4 4 samsung s8530, how to install badadroid s8530 without pc