Apr 15, 2012
With my last visit with blog.dota2.com last week, I noticed that there’s a DOTA 2 invitation going on. It seems that DotA 2 Beta has been released already for everyone to play or will be releasing anytime soon. So while we wait for that to happen we should really act now to have our own beta key so that we can join the excitement of the game with our friends online. In this post you will learn how you will be able to get your own DOTA 2 Beta key.
So how do we get the beta keys? Currently there are many DotA forums offering beta keys if you sign up with them and post something on a specific thread. While you can do this to increase your chances, I highly suggest that you sign up only with the trusted sites like playdota.com and dota2.com portal.
Also do not click links that says will give or send you the beta keys. There are so many scammers and spammers out there so better be safe than sorry.
As I see it, there are two routes to having your own DotA 2 beta keys.
- The first and the easiest method is that you only have to ask for it by posting your request or any message in a specific playdota.com thread. The site bot will then randomly pick the winner and send the beta key via PM.
- Always check your account for messages and be sure to read the rules so that your effort will not be wasted.
The only problem with this method is that you will be eligible only if you are a registered user before April 5, 2012. So might prefer the other route in owning your beta key. The second method is by signing up with store.steampowered.com and taking two-part survey.
- The first thing to do is to download the Steam app for Windows or Mac.
- After choosing the folder location, install the Steam on that location. Make sure though that the partition or drive that you choose is big enough to handle all the games that you will be purchasing from the Valve store in the future. For the DotA 2 Beta, you should at least have a free space of 4G or more because the current file size (according to most users who already downloaded the game) is close to 3GB.
- After the installation create a new Steam account by going to this link -> https://store.steampowered.com/login. Email verification will be sent to your email address for security purposes and make sure that you click that link.
- You can now proceed to the two-part survey which consists of hardware and connection survey and game stats etc. Visit this link to launch the survey. The Steam app that you previously installed will be launched so wait patiently.
- After completing the survey all you have to do is wait for the DotA 2 beta key that will be sent to your email address that you used in the sign-up process.
There you have it. Start signing up before it’s too late. On the other hand if you’re friends say that they already got theirs, ask them if they could hand one of the three keys that Valve has sent to them. Because for every beta key that you will get you will also have 2 extra invites for your friends. Have a nice day!
Update: April 16, 2012 Finally! I got my DotA 2 Beta keys via PlayDota.com portal. I wished that Valve will sent out another one via DotA2.com site. I’m installing it now!