Nov 3, 2011
Using the latest RedSn0w 0.9.9b7 or the 0.9.9b8 version, you can now jailbreak your iOS devices. While this was only available to developers, learning to get this beta version jailbroken will be your preparation once it goes out of Beta testing. Also if you’re an iPhone 4S owner you can benefit from this version, in which the iOS 5.0.1 was said to contain the fix for the messed up battery life. So if you already updated to 5.0.1 beta read the instructions below to jailbreak your device. Using the latest RedSn0w 0.9.9b8, you don’t have to do item#4 because this version can natively recognize the iOS 5.0.1 beta version. Please note that this jailbreak is currently tethered and there is no untethered solution right now.
Update: You can also use the steps below to jailbreak your iOS 5.0.1 device. After updating to this version, proceed to the steps below.
What you will need:
- RedSn0w 0.9.9b7 for Windows | Mac. or
- RedSn0w 0.9.9b8 for Windows | Mac
- iTunes 10.5 installed.
- iOS 5 ipsw file.
Things to consider:
- This doesn’t work with the dual-core iPad 2 or iPhone 4S devices. Those running an iPad 2 on 4.3.3 can jailbreak using JailbreakMe 3.0.
- iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and iOS 5 users on other devices are advised to stay away from iOS 5.0.1 if they want untethered jailbreak.
- This jailbreak is tethered only.
- To begin, make sure you have iTunes installed and the iOS 5 firmware downloaded on your computer.
- Launch RedSn0w, click the ‘Extras’ button that will give you another window.
- Inside the ‘Extras’ group of buttons, click ‘Select IPSW’ to locate your iOS 5 firmware (NOT iOS 5.0.1)
- After selecting the iOS 5 ipsw file, click the ‘Back’ button and click ‘Jailbreak’ button.
- Just follow the instructions to get your device jailbroken after hitting the ‘Jailbreak’ button.
- The next thing that will happen is that your device will boot up. If you see Cydia installed and seems not to be running plug in the USB cable and power off the device.
- Launch RedSn0w and click the ‘Extras’ button. (Make sure that iOS 5 was selected in Select IPSW.)
- Then select ‘Just Boot’ and follow the next instructions and you will see that Cydia will be up and running in no time at all.
Note: You should know that jailbreaking your iOS device might void your warranty or might cause problems to your device. The instructions presented here are for those people who really understand what they’re doing. Please don’t blame anyone if you messed up your device. Have a nice day!