Nov 22, 2011
Through the efforts and relentless determination of the folks at Android-x86 site the “Run Android on Your PC” project a.k.a “Android-x86 Project” will enable your Eee PC to taste Android Honeycomb’s features. Thanks to them, this project will ‘breathe’ in new life not only to your old ASUS Eee PC but to other x86 platforms as well.
Using Honeycomb OS on ASUS Eee PC will allow you to browse the web, use WiFi, browse pictures and even play videos. To support the group, you can donate to them by going to their site and click the “Donate” button located at the right side of their web page.
The project is still a work in progress. Therefore we should patiently wait for more updates and expect for some minor glitches. As of now it works on Dell and Samsung computers but the group highly suggests that you install it on ASUS branded computers.
In a nutshell, you will be using a specialized ISO imaging tool that you will use to burn the android-x86 ISO to a USB or SD card. You will then boot from the USB drive or SD card to start the installation process. For detailed instructions, see the step by step procedure below.
Things To Do:
- Download the android-x86 ISO.
- Download the image tool UNetbootin.
- Install UNetbootin in your spare computer and not on your ASUS Eee PC.
- Insert USB drive or SD card in your computer.
- Use UNetbootin to burn the ISO image to USB drive or SD card.
- Power-On your ASUS Eee PC and make sure that you select the “Boot from USB drive” option on your computer’s BIOS settings.
- Insert the USB drive or SD card.
- Restart your ASUS Eee PC.
- Follow the instructions to complete the installation process. You can choose to run the Android OS from the USB drive or install it on your hard disk.
- If you choose to install the OS on your hard disk, you should format it using the EXT3 option.
With the release of Android 4.0’s source code to the public, the group at Android-x86 seems to be pushing their limits to add the Gingerbread version into their collection. In the coming days, we will be watching this project to include more enhancements on power management, external monitors and improved hardware acceleration. So stay tuned for more of this. Have a nice day!
To see it live see the video below.
Incoming search terms:
asus tablet os 3 2 honeycomb iso, install usb driver to connect eee pc to android